Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Sunday 15 April 2012.


Spellcaster (Spellbound, #2)Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz
Published by Harlequin Teen, 27th March 2012
ISBN: 0373210507 (ISBN13: 9780373210503)
Source: Netgalley
Target Audience: Young Adult


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Spoilers for book 1, Spellbound


Having beaten the curse, Emma and Brendan are free to live happily ever after, or so it would seem. Emma, who now knows she's a witch, is taking spell lessons from her best friend Angelique, who's also a witch. Angelique is an empath and she begins to feel danger around Emma. When Brendan is set up and Emma gets attacked in the park, they have no idea how bad things are going to get.


This book just didn't capture me at all and I'm not sure why. There is nothing I can put my finger on, but I just couldn't get into it. To the point where I really struggled to make myself pick up my kindle and read it.


There is nothing I can actually find to fault it. I liked the authors writing style, all of the characters are well defined and enjoyable, her descriptions are well done and there is a lot of mystery and suspense to keep the reader guessing. Maybe its just me, so I would recommend anyone who is interested to read it and form their own opinions.


Emma and Brendan are still very much in love and its really sweet. It does get quite annoying though and unbelievable that every single female is supposed to fall all over Brendan, some even becoming obsessed with him. This is probably my only fault with the book.


Angelique is a really enjoyable character. We get to know her an awful lot more here. A couple of times, we change from Emma's POV to Angeliques. This is really interesting as it is when she is interacting with Brendan, who she really doesn't like but is starting to respect.


I did really enjoy the ending of this book. I felt it was really well done.  I don't know if there is a 3rd book in this series. Again, this one ended without a cliff hanger and with the illusion of happily ever after but so did book 1, so who knows. I'm not too sure if I would read another book in the series because I kind of feel as if the whole thing is just being dragged out. Spellbound would have been a great stand alone book and I think that's kind of what made it so hard for me to connect with Spellcaster, it felt like it was written just for the sake of making a series where there really shouldn't have been one.

4 Comments:

Book Passion for Life said...

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one as much. I haven't read it yet but I am looking forward to it. Great review. Donna xxxxx

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

It doesn't sound like a terrible read but it's a shame this wasn't better for you. Nice review!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I reviewed this a couple of weeks ago and felt much the same. This book was kind of boring and did not hold my interest. I agree Spellbund would be better as a stand alone. Sorry I have been off the blogosphere, I had company I am back now :)

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

Good to have you back Heidi :)

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |