Spotlight on Julie Kagawa

Friday 11 May 2012.
Today, I am doing a spotlight on the amazing author, Julie Kagawa, the author of the fantastic Iron Fey series and the amazing The Immortal Rules, the first book in the Blood of Eden series.


Julie kindly answered a few questions for us so without further ado, let's get started.


From a faery world to a vampire world. What challenges, if any, did you face while writing The Immortal Rules?
I loved every minute of writing The Iron Fey series, but after four books and two novellas, I was ready to move on to something different. I'd been wondering if I could write something a little darker, and The Immortal Rules was the perfect opportunity for that. It’s always fun to explore new and unfamiliar characters and learn who they are as you write them, and I enjoy building new worlds and filling them with stories. At the same time, the characters of the Iron Fey series are like old friends, and going back and writing more on them and their world is like putting on an old, comfortable hoodie.

Allie hates the vampires, and yet when faced with death, she chooses to become one. What choice would you have made in this situation?
Me personally? No, I'm like Zeke in the belief that there is something better beyond this life, and that I just have to wait and do my best until it's time for me to go. Besides, as a vampire I'd have to give up pizza and Mt. Dew; I don't think I could survive. ;)

Can you give any hints as to what we can expect from book 2.I'm in the middle of writing the sequel now, and all I can say is that Allie will meet new and old faces, fight her Hunger, and discover a monstrous enemy who has dark plans for her and the entire world.

Quick-fire round
Tea or Coffee: Neither (Mountain Dew)
Favourite Book: Pass. Too many to count.
Favourite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favourite song: It changes daily. Right now it’s Awake and Alive by Skillet
Favourite colour: Black
Sweet or savoury: Sweet
Summer or Winter: Winter
Vampires or faeries: Faeries (but the old fey, not the Tinkerbelle versions)





About Julie

Julie Kagawa
Julie Kagawa was born in Sacramento, California. But nothing exciting really happened to her there. So, at the age of nine she and her family moved to Hawaii, which she soon discovered was inhabited by large carnivorous insects, colonies of house geckos, and frequent hurricanes. She spent much of her time in the ocean, when she wasn't getting chased out of it by reef sharks, jellyfish, and the odd eel.

When not swimming for her life, Julie immersed herself in books, often to the chagrin of her schoolteachers, who would find she hid novels behind her Math textbooks during class. Her love of reading led her to pen some very dark and gruesome stories, complete with colored illustrations, to shock her hapless teachers. The gory tales faded with time, but the passion for writing remained, long after she graduated and was supposed to get a real job.

To pay the rent, Julie worked in different bookstores over the years, but discovered the managers frowned upon her reading the books she was supposed to be shelving. So she turned to her other passion: training animals. She worked as a professional dogtrainer for several years, dodging Chihuahua bites and overly enthusiastic Labradors, until her first book sold and she stopped training to write full-time.

Julie now lives in Louisville, Kentucky, where the frequency of shark attacks are at an all time low. She lives with her husband, two obnoxious cats, one Australian Shepherd who is too smart for his own good, and the latest addition, a hyper-active Papillon puppy. (Taken from Julie's website 
http://www.juliekagawa.com)

You can read my review of the Immortal Rules here and my reviews of The Iron Fey series here.


Find Julie on FacebookTwitter or on her blog.

4 Comments:

Nicola said...

Ooh, I don't think I'd become a vampire either. I think I'd get bored!

The Iron Fey books are on my to-read list for this month so I hope I can get around to them. Everyone seems to adore them.

Great interview, Suzanne!

Rachel said...

Awesome interview! I also wouldn't want to be a vampire. I'm so excited for the next immortal rules book. i finished the first two days ago and was amazed!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Great interview! I love all of Julie's books and can't wait to get my hands on the next Blood of Eden book. :) And black is my favourite colour too. ;)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I love Julie Kagawa, she is fantastic. She is awsomeness. I love her Iron Fey series and The Immortal Rules is definitley a severe departure. I can't wait t reas more about Ally and Ethan in his book!

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |