Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Friday 2 November 2012.

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
Published: 5th October 2012
By: Mira Ink
Source: Copy from Publishers

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This really wasn't what I expected to get when I picked up Alice in Zombieland. While I had heard that it wasn't much of a re-telling, I think I still expected more of a resemblance than a white rabbit shaped cloud. But don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of re-tellings so only requested this book after hearing that.

Ali (Alice), a girl who  has lost her family in a car accident and attack by monsters, that she feels was her fault. She thought her dad was crazy and that her mom should divorce him because he ran their lives with his fear of the monsters that Alice didn't believe in. There's no going out after dark, learning to fight to defend themselves and her dad patrols the house with a gun every night. She only discovers, as her family is dying around her, that the monsters are real.

Ali goes to live with her grandparents, and on the day she starts at her new school, she shares a vision with resident bad boy, Cole. When they are both attacked by the monsters, they discover that they can both see them. It turns out, Cole and his group fight the monsters, and Ali wants to join them.

Ali is a totally kick butt character. I loved when she stood up to the girl trying to bully her. She had an answer for everyone, and never backed down. She's tough, thanks to her dad's training, but she's sweet and innocent too.

Cole, who seems to be always getting into fights with humans, aswell as monsters, has lots of tattoos and unsurprisingly, is always sporting a bruise or two. So, I was surprised at how sweet and caring he was. I really enjoyed his relationship with Ali, although at times he seemed to blow hot and cold.

Alice in Zombieland was fast paced and full of action, it really rocked my socks. The secondary characters were awesome, especially Kat (mad dog) and Frost. I was glued to the pages. I did find the beginning to be a little slow but it took off with a bang and I never looked back. By the nature of the book, characters do get hurt, and do die, so be prepared for some emotion in this too.

Overall, I thought Alice in Zombieland was just fantastic and October 2013 is just too long a wait for Through the Zombieglass.


Buy the book: Amazon/The Book Depository

7 Comments:

Neyra said...

Ohhh awesome review Suzanne! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. And I was glad when Ali didn't back down from anyone ^-^ I agree about Cole's nature, because he always seemed to be getting into fights, you wouldn't expect him to be so sweet, but I loved that about him ^_^ October is wayyy to long to wait for book two, but definitely looking forward to it!

Neyra-

Elodie said...

I really have to pick up a copy of this book : I saw it at Eason last week and almost bought a copy ... I have to go back there ! Great review Suzanne !

Jasprit said...

Oh I'm glad this worked out a lot more than it did for me, I agree Ali was one heck of a tough mc, with everything thrown her way she still battled on! Great review Suzanne! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I expected it to be somehow connected to the original story, and in that, I was sorely disappointed. However, I did feel that it had some strong points, and it was very fun. You seem to have liked it more than I did in the end, but I didn't hate it either :)
Wonderful review as usual Suzanne!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am not a fan of retellings either and to be honest Alice in Wonderland was never one of my favs so I am perfectly happy to hear that this is nothing like the original. I have been hungering to read this book for months and due my loaded schedule it hasn't happened. I am desperately trying to work it in. So happy to hear that you loved this or as you put it, it rocked your socks!

Giselle said...

I was also surprised at Cole's personality I assumed he would be a real jerk. I really enjoyed this one, too! Ali was great and I LOVED when she stood up for herself! Finally! :)

A Canadian Girl said...

I thought there would be at least more of a resemblance which for me was a little disappointing since unlike you, I love retellings :) I have to agree about the secondary characters; they were awesome! And I loved the action too.

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |