Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep

Thursday 24 January 2013.

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep
Published: 24th December 2012
By: K-Teen
Source: Netgalley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Crimson Frost in the fourth book in the Mythos Academy series. Gwen Frost attended regular high school until her mother died and she was thrown into the magical world that is Mythos Academy. Isolated at first, she soon makes friends with Daphne, Carson, Oliver and Logan. At the beginning of this book, Gwen is on her first official date with Logan, the hot spartan, when the Protectorate enter the coffee shop and she's arrested for freeing Loki from prison.

For some reason, I found myself not enjoying Gwen's character in this book, and even Logan's presence couldn't seem to ignite this for me. Disappointly, having enjoyed the first three books in the series immensely, I was bored and had to force myself to continue.

We meet Logan's dad Linus, who is head of the Protectorate and Gwen's main accuser. He seems dead set on taking Gwen from Logan's life and won't listen to reason. He makes no secret of the fact that he isn't happy with Logan's choice of girlfriend.

Another new character, Alexei, is assigned to be Gwen's guard while she's awaiting trial. He takes his position very seriously, shadowing Gwen but not interacting with her at all, so we get to see very little of his personality, but from the little we do see at the end of the book, I think he'll be an enjoyable character in the future and I look forward to getting to know him better in the next book, Midnight Frost.

My main solace in this book came from the mystery of the reaper in the midst of the Protectorate. Other than this suspense keeping me going, I'm not sure I would have found it in me to continue.

I didn't find Gwen to be the brightest spark and in this one, and the last book, Dark Frost, I felt she did some stupid things. While I can't dis her bravery or how much she cares for her friends, she's starting to wear on me.

While this has been my least favourite of the Mythos books, the ending did provide some light at the end of the tunnel so I will still be picking up the next book in this series.

Add to Goodreads

Buy the book: The Book Depository/Amazon

9 Comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't much care for this, Suzanne. It's a series I'm determined to try again (I gave up in the middle of book 1) and hopefully the next installment will be better. It's frustrating when the main character keeps doing things you don't like.
Great review, though.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I know Gwen can be frustrating, and the romance is driving me nuts but this series is always fun for me and I liked the relationship between Oliver and Alexi. I hope you like the next book better Jennifer is a sweetheart!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I haven't started this series yet, but I've heard good things. I'm sorry to hear this wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first few books though. I hope the next one will put things back on track.

Lovely review, hun!

brandileigh2003 said...

Sorry that you didn't enjoy Gwen in this one, hopefully next will be better.

Happy reading with <3, Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Ning said...

Great review!! I really liked the first book and LOGAN!! Omg that Spartan is hot. haha excuse my fangirling! Anyway, I couldn't get into the 2nd book for some reason.

LoveOfBooks said...

I've been meaning to start this series for so long. It seems like it, anyway. Sucks this was your least favorite, but I guess there has to be one like that in a series. lol. Hope you enjoy the next one more.

Book Passion for Life said...

Oh awesome review hun. I really want to start this series BUT it's finding the time like always! Glad your enjoying it though. x

Rachel said...

That's too bad this was disappointing to you, Suzanne. I hate it when the main character makes stupid decisions time after time. Hopefully she'll shape up in the next one. Wonderful review.:)

A Canadian Girl said...

I love this series but since I haven't gotten around to reading Crimson Frost yet, it's a little disappointing to hear that you were a bit bored by this one. Since we're already on book four, do you think it's possible that the series may be getting a bit long? Hopefully, I'll enjoy this a bit more than you, Suzanne.

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |