Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Thursday 10 January 2013.
Touch of Death (Touch of Death #1)
Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway
Published: 15th January 2013
By: Spencer Hill Press
Source: Copy from Publishers

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Unfortunately, the word that comes to mind to describe this book is "disappointing". Not that it was the worst, my expectations may have just been too high. This is a book I had been highly anticipating and early reviews I'd seen had been quite promising.

This book felt like it had two distinct halves. Before Jodi discovered what she was and was still living among the humans, and after she discovered she was ophi and went to live among her own kind. Besides Jodi, Alex is the only constant character in the book. And we get to know very little about him in the first half as he acts just like a weird stalker. But, even in the second half, I didn't feel his character developed any depth or that I managed to build up any real connection with him. Neither can I say I felt much of a connection with Jodi. The characters felt mostly to be one dimensional and tedious.

Also, there were a few things about this that bothered me, and a few that verged on the ridiculous. One being the ease with which Jodi managed to sever her relationship with her mother. I would have expected more tears, sleepless nights, a bout of depression etc. And no one has ever held both the statues hands before....in all those years...come on!!

Then there's Jodi's relationships, and yes, she had two in this short book. But neither of them captured my attention, there was no fire, no passion, just blandness.

The whole book had a kind of rushed feel to it. It was an easy read but I felt like a lot had been left out or not explained thoroughly enough. It was also quite predictable and nothing took me by surprise.

I couldn't say with any conviction that I will continue on with this series but I'll see how I feel when the time comes. Never say never!

Add to Goodreads

Buy the book: Amazon/The Book Depository

10 Comments:

Aa'Ishah said...

I've seen a couple of reviews pointing out the exact same things as you have. Alex just sounds creepy and Jodi an unremarkable protag to be reading through. Reading about the statue, that seems ridiculous to me as well. Sorry this was so disappointing for you, Suzanne, but thanks for the wonderful honest review! :)

Rachel said...

Sorry this didn't live up to your expectations, Suzanne. It's quite difficult to do when you don't connect to the main character. Great review. :)

Giselle said...

Gah I hated this book! Baha. So many things were ridiculous I agree!!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Well I am glad to read an honest review. I am tired of reading subpar books and I am trying to be much more selective this year (as are you obviously) so this is one I am going to pass one. What a disappointment! Thanks for giving an honest rundown!

Jasprit said...

Oh I'm sorry this book didn't work out for you Suzanne as much as you'd hoped, I think some of the issues would have definitely annoyed me too. I hope your next book you pick up ends up being a lot more enjoyable! :)

Keertana said...

It's a shame that this one was so disappointing! I love the covers and the idea is so neat, but nearly all reviewers have found this to not meet their expectations, which is a real shame. Thanks for the honest review, Suzanne!

Christy @ Love of Books said...

That sucks. I've actually been kind of curious about this one, but haven't felt the push to really WANT to read it. Oh well, great review. :)

Book Passion for Life said...

Great review hun. It's a shame you didn't enjoy this one. I haven't read it but I've heard it was good. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

Silverlight said...

I was soo disappointed in this book. I really thought it could of been a lot better than it was. I really liked the whole mythology aspect of it, but felt the book as a whole was too immature. I agree w/you.

A Canadian Girl said...

Sorry I've been a bit MIA lately, Suzanne. Anyway, I was excited to read this one too but so far the reviews for this one seem to be disappointing. You haven't been the first to mention that nothing seems to have been explored in depth. I won't be reading this one but thanks for the review :)

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |