Guardians: The Girl by Lola St. Vil

Monday 26 March 2012.
Guardians: The Girl Guardians: The Girl by Lola St.Vil
Young Adult


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The blurb from Goodreads


Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.



This is an absolutely fantastic story, original and imaginative. I have not read another angel book like this before. I really liked the ending and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.


But! I felt like I was reading an unedited manuscript. I really disliked the main character Emmy, she did and said such stupid things. But I feel she is just badly written. I can't help but wonder if the author actually read back over her own work. There was a lot of contradictions throughout and spelling and grammar mistakes.


I am not going to detail all that I found fault with in this book as I don't want to seem like I am attacking the author as I most definitely am not. I understand how hard it is to write a book and the courage that it takes to put it out there for appraisal. I feel this book would really benefit from some professional editing and advice which I am all too aware is not that easy to get. It is an absolutely fantastic unique idea and all the basis of an amazing story are there. Some parts could just be played out differently. Some scenes are too intense and overly dramatic to suit the situation and some scenes are not emotional enough and conversations are stilted. If I'd had a print copy of this there would have been a lot of crossing out and writing in the margins.


I really would like to see this book re-edited. It has a lot of action, a romance of star crossed lovers and the secondary characters were all really likeable. I am looking forward to seeing the direction the author is going to take with future books in this series.


Here are some quotes that I liked:


"I looked at her quickly, then went back to the Muse. She was too short. Her hair was a tangled mess. Her T-shirt had a cartoon pig on it and was ugly and ill fitted. I wanted her."


"You blow on your ice-cream before you eat it. When you watch horror movies and the scary parts come up, you close your cat's eyes along with yours. You have a photo album of the clothes you'd like to wear but don't think its right to ask your mother for. You have a picture you took of me on your cell and don't think I know about. You look at it the same way you look at the clothes in your album-like you have no right to ask for it."


"I heard this guy say once that he thought that if he said 'no' to doing drugs then the fight was over. But it turns out he had to say 'no' each and every day. I didn't get it until I met you. When I first fell for you, I said 'no' to it. Then the next day the feeling came back. Now every single day, I have to say 'no' to being with you."


"Don't I get a chance to convince you to choose me?" "You couldn't." "Why?" "Because nothing you could say could get me to love you more than I already do."


Video trailer



Buy the book: Amazon/Smashwords

2 Comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Suzanne, I appreciate your honesty, that is the problem with so many of the self pubbed titles, great ideas, poor editing. I personally can't read books that are not edited, I spend the entire read editing in my head. Sigh...I will have to pass on this, though. Too bad, I am still looking for a great angel book.

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

It is such a shame Heidi because it could be really good. I am still interested in the story and would read a second in the series just to see where it goes

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |