Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Wednesday 31 October 2012.

Death and the Girl Next Door (Darklight, #1)Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones
Published: 2nd October 2012
By: St. Martin's Press
Source: Netgalley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was Darynda Jones first venture into the young adult world and I was impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed Death and the Girl Next Door. While maybe not perfect, there is a lot I can overlook when I have a host of fantastic characters to capture my attention, and that's what I found here.

Lorelei, the protagonist, has two amazing best friends, Glitch and Brooklyn. So when Cameron begins to stalk her, and then Jared shows up and weird things start to happen, like her dying and being brought back to life, she has them to fall back on and tells them everything. Unlike a lot of books where the heroine will keep the secrets and loses her friends. And when Cameron and Jared start hanging out with these three, I enjoyed the banter, the sarcasm and wit really kept me entertained.

There is a lot of mystery in this book. Lorelei's parents just disappeared one day ten years ago and no one knows what happened. Then, there's Cameron and Jared, who between them, seem to have a lot of secrets. There's a lot of questions that come up and not all of them are answered by the end of the book.

I really enjoyed the touch of romance here too. Thankfully there's no love triangle though I did feel as though the cover hinted at one.

With the revelations that came at the end of this book, I'm really looking forward to the next in the series, Death, Doom and Devotion and I'm expecting great things from it.

Buy the book: The Book Depository/Amazon

9 Comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

The cover does hint at a love triangle, and it would have kept me away if the author were anyone else, but to Darynda, I could forgive even that. Thankfully I didn't have to.
Like you, I've noticed flaws here and there, but I simply didn't care. :)
Lovely review, Suzanne!

Unknown said...

I was happy to hear that no love triangle develops because I also thought so based on the cover and synopsis. I can't wait to read this! And I agree I hate when in books the main character hides and lies about what is going on to friends and loses them and just makes everything worse. Just out with it already! I've been looking forward to this one for awhile!

Jasprit said...

I'm glad there was no love triangle with this book either, the mystery surrounding some of the characters definitely kept me on my toes and super excited about the next book! So glad you enjoyed it Suzanne! Another awesome review! :)

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Great review, Suzanne! I enjoyed the banter and sarcasm between the characters too. In fact, the humour was my favourite thing about the book. I'm looking forward to the next one, but do hope it is a little better. :)

Rachel said...

I'm soooo happy to hear that secrets from friends, like so many other stories is not happening here. That usually causes so many unnecessary problems and frustrates the heck out of me. I'm really looking forward to this, Suzanne. Wonderful review. :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Yes, I am glad this didn't go into Love Triangle Territory. I hope you will try Charley Davidson next! That is one of my fav series!

A Canadian Girl said...

Man, I still haven't seen a negative review for this one! I need to bump it up in my TBR pile and get around to reading it! I love that there's no love triangle in this one :)

Giselle said...

The cover definitely makes you think it's a huge triangle but I was happy there wasn't. I really enjoyed this one too the characters cracked me up--which is always the case with Darynda! Glad you liked it too! :)

Jennifer said...

I've had my eyes on this one for ages. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it and that there is great banter between the characters. Love when they have that in a book.

Awesome review, Suzanne. :)

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |