Falling to Ash (Moth #1) by Karen Mahoney

Tuesday 16 October 2012.

Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney
Published: 27th September 2012
By: Corgi Childrens
Source: Random House UK

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Falling to Ash was a book that I hadn't even heard of until I was offered a chance to request it. Of course, my love of vampires just wouldn't let me refuse and I just couldn't wait get started on it.

Marie, or Moth, as she now calls her vampire self was turned about a year ago when she was 18, but her maker, Theo, kept her hidden from the Family, for fear of repercussions to himself and Moth if they knew he had turned her without permission from them. The Family, are a vampire council who rule and police the vampires.

Theo, is the head vampire of Boston, a hot young looking vampire, who wooed and dated Marie before losing control one night and then turning her, rather than letting her die. He claims it was a lapse in judgement, but now, must face the consequences from the Family. Marie will be allowed to live if Theo can kill Thomas Murdoch, a notorious vampire hunter, and produce his head for the Family. Otherwise, Moth will be ended, taking a little bit of Theo's soul with her. He has one week.

Someone is killing teenagers who are connected to Moth in some way. The first guy, Rick, is a guy she went to college with. When Moth gets a visit from the police because the dead guy has her name and address on him, she senses something fishy and knows she needs to look into this herself. It appears to be a vampire attack so if she can get to the body, she may be able to pick up the scent of the vampire. If Theo gets wind of this she'll be in trouble.

She heads to the hospital, only to run into Jason Murdoch, son of Thomas, the vampire hunter. After a brief tussle, he decides to check things out with her. He can't let a vampire stroll freely around a hospital. They arrive at the morgue just in time to see Rick, sitting on a slab, chewing on an arm, the nurse dead at this feet. All of a sudden, Moth and Jace are on the same side.

I truly loved this book. Moth is a spectacular heroine, brave with a smart mouth but extremely caring when it comes to people she cares about. She's not happy about what she is but accepts that she has to get on with it. Despite Jace being a hunter, she can't help but find him attractive. He is definitely swoonworthy. While a romance doesn't actually take off between the two, the tension is there and when the two of them are together were probably my favourite times in the book.

Theo is Moth's maker, and therefore, she has to do what he says. While she complains about him a lot, I could feel a caring, compassionate relationship between them.

This is my first book to read by Karen Mahoney but I will definitely be looking into others. Falling to Ash is fast paced with sufficient action to keep you on the edge of your seat. I didn't want to put this book down. As yet there is no information on the second book but I really hope we're not going to be kept too long waiting.

Buy the book: Amazon/The Book Depository

5 Comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I haven't heard of this one but it sounds like a good scary kind of vamp book especially if the vampire is chewing on an arm in the morgue! I will have to be on the lookout for this one. Thanks for introducing me to this one!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Sometimes I actually prefer it when the romance is very slight and doesn't completely take off in the first book. That's how I felt for Unspoken and The Assassin's Curse. The tension is more enjoyable sometimes. :) I'm going to wait a while to read this but I'm looking forward to it after your review. Glad you liked it!

Carmen B. said...

I've been wanting to read Falling To Ash for forever! I love Karen's other novels & short stories! As soon as I'm off my book buying ban and have caught up with my stack of unread books a little I really need to go get it! I'm glad to hear it's as good as her other work. I really loved Moth's voice in the short stories and from what I gather in your review she's just as awesome in the novel :)

Rachel said...

This sounds wonderful and I never heard to it before. At first I thought it was going to be a love triangle. I thought Theo her maker wanted her too. But it doesn't sound like it. I might have to pick this one up Suzanne. Great review. :)

Jasprit said...

I too hadn't heard of this book either until I was given a review copy! I haven't had much luck with vampire books either lately but your review has got me super excited about picking this up, I will definitely have to bump this up my tbr! Fantastic review Suzanne! :)

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |